These were incredible! King oyster mushroom rings battered and shallow fried for a golden calamari alternative.
Vegan-friendly Battered 'Calamari'
Vegan Battered Calamari recipe with light golden batter.
- 3 king oyster mushrooms
- 1/4 cup oat milk
- 1/4 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/2tsp sea salt
- 1/4tsp black pepper
- 1/2 lemon
- Rapeseed oil, for shallow frying
- Remove the caps from the king oyster mushrooms, saving them for another recipe. Slice the stalk into quarter inch thick slices. Using a knife, or apple corer, make a hole in the centre of the slices to make a calamari style ring. You can use the centres to make scallops (see below).
- Combine the flour, milk, salt and pepper in a large bowl. Whisk until a thick batter is formed. Mix the mushroom rings in the batter.
- Heat the oil in a large frying pan, fry the rings for around 3-4 minutes per side, until golden brown. Serve with a squeeze of lemon juice over the top.
- Nutrition per serving:
- Calories: 542
- Protein: 20g
- Fibre: 15g
- Iron: 8mg
- Vitamin C: 22mg
- Calcium: 42mg
- Cholesterol: 0mg