This oil-free tofu egg mayo alternative provides more protein per serving than traditional eggs and makes an excellent topping for a vegan wholemeal egg sandwich.
For clarity, that's 16g of protein per serving compared with just 6g with 'real' eggs!
Upgrade that vegan egg salad, deliver 33% of your daily calcium and a quarter of your daily iron in one hit! 💪
The potent antioxidant combination of turmeric and ground black pepper provides a natural golden egg colour while benefiting our bodies with curcumin.
I have kept this recipe cooking oil-free as I have found this adds unnecessary calories and processed products to an otherwise tasty recipe.
Serving suggestions ����
- Wholemeal vegan egg and cress sandwich
- Garnish with sliced beef tomatoes and ground black pepper
- Stuffed jacket potatoes - don't knock it until you try it!
- Vegan egg salad
Making this recipe 👩🍳
- If you prefer your egg mayo warm, you can heat it, but make sure you do this to the tofu before adding the coconut mayo.
- Find a natural, sugar-free coconut yoghurt as these tend to be lower in fat and closer to the whole, unprocessed food.
- If you're avoiding coconut or processed foods entirely, consider using gram flour and water to make a creamy sauce.
Vegan Tofu Egg Mayo
Delicious, golden egg and oil-free tofu egg mayonnaise for a high calcium, protein and iron vegan lunch.
- 450g extra firm tofu
- 1tsp turmeric
- 1/2tsp black pepper
- 1tsp black salt (kala namak) - needed for the egg flavour
- 1tbsp miso paste
- 4tbsp natural, sugar-free coconut yoghurt
- Crumble the tofu with your hands into small scrambled-egg-sized clumps.
- If you want it warm, heat a large frying pan and add the tofu. Stir regularly and use small amounts of oat milk or water as required to stop any sticking.
- Add the turmeric, black pepper and salt and continue to stir.
- In a small bowl mix the miso and coconut yoghurt to form the mayonnaise alternative.
- Combine everything and serve! 💚
- Nutrition per serving:
- Calories: 230
- Protein: 16g
- Fibre: 2g
- Iron: 21%
- Calcium: 33%
- Cholesterol: 0mg